Gorgeous by Paul Rudnick is a cheesy book about a girl whose quite average life changes suddenly, and becomes what ever the author considers “the most beautiful girl in the world”. Becky Randle had lived in East Trawley, Missouri, in a trailer her whole life. Her dad left before she was born and she lived with her morbidly obese mother. Becky was shy and throughout her whole childhood she hid inside her sweaters, trying to stay away from everyone except her mom and her best friend Rocher. When Becky’s mom died on her 18th birthday, Becky got a mysterious phone call from a man named Tom Kelly, who invited her to New York City, and promised Becky that if she did exactly as told, she would become the most beautiful women in the world. The message of this book is incorrect because it teaches girls that if they follow the rules they will be beautiful. This message is wrong because all girls are beautiful and following societies rules will not benefit anyone in their search for beauty.
When Tom Kelly tells Becky if she follows the rules that he puts in place for her she will be beautiful, Becky is a little hesitant. She doesn’t exactly want to loose her whole identity to society’s view of beauty. After she does what is expected of her (wearing specific dresses, acting in a certain way, being friends with all these famous people who will make her look good) she becomes what the author keeps referring to as “the most beautiful woman in the world”. Her beauty is conventional and once she becomes “beautiful” she wants nothing less. Becky changes totally, and becomes stuck up. To Becky everyone that isn't famous or rich, isn’t worth anything. This stuck up, conventionally beautiful girl who thinks that if you don’t look a certain way, you mean nothing, is putting out the message to young girls that if you aren’t pretty you have no chance.
I first read this book when I was probably about 11 years old and I remember I felt so ugly. Because I wasn’t Becky, I was ugly, in my mind. According to the author, anyone standing next to Becky looks terrible, even the prettiest of people. After reading this book a few years later, I realize how pathetic this book is. The message it gives is that if you follow societal standards, you will be gorgeous, and being gorgeous is all that matters in life, and it will get you everything. It tells you to change your appearances for others wellbeing. It teaches truly gorgeous girls that they will never be pretty. This book makes me remember how stupid society is, and it makes me realize how important it is to put out the message to young girls that they are beautiful, because they don't need to be called ugly by men who write books in their parent's basement about "beautiful" women.
Wow Iris this post was really well written and inspiring!! When I first started to read your summary of the book, I wasn't all that interested, but when I read your thesis, my thoughts completely changed. You brought up a really good point about girls and beauty that I totally agree with. I thought it was especially inspiring and interesting when, in your conclusion, you brought up your own experience reading this book, and using that, you proved your point that the message of the book was wrong and didn't make sense. I think a lot of people should definitely read this blog post because they could learn a lot. Great job!!!!
ReplyDelete